What is it?
The burpee is a torturous, total body exercise that will fatigue all of the major muscle groups, while training cardiovascular endurance.
How do you do it?
- Begin in a standing position.
- Sit into a squat and place your hands on the ground outside your feet
- Kick both feet out behind you and land in the push-up position, keeping the hips up and core engaged
- Take the chest to the ground at the bottom of a push-up
- Press up from the bottom of the push-up and return the feet to the hands
- Return to standing by jumping off the ground, clapping hands overhead
To improve execution and efficiency of the burpee be sure to include these exercises in your training program.
Upper Body, Pressing
Hand Release Push-up
Dumbbell Plank Row
Lower Body, Jumping
Frog Jump/Broad Jump
Single Leg/Split Squat
Ankles to Bar
Plank Hold, opposite arm and leg elevated
Jump Rope @ 60 seconds
6x Split Squat each leg
Plank Hold @ 60 seconds
20x Squat Jump
5x Ankle to bar
Rest @ 60 seconds
Burpee @ 30 seconds
Rest @ 10 seconds
Joe is a writer, trainer and fitness entrepreneur who co-founded Hybrid Athlete LLC, Kettlebell Cardio™ and Race Day Domination. Currently building @fittinsider, a platform for founders, executives, & investors redefining fitness/wellness. Investing in health/fitness companies